Saturday, January 2, 2010

Lee food shopping

Went grocery shopping today with the mom and pops hungry. baaaaad idea. ended up buying 1.5lbs of shrimp, three different kinds (and body parts) of fish, veggies, two giant "lo bak"s for "lo bak go", four pheasants for roasting, chicken, scallops... the list goes on.

Looking at all the groceries my parents buy, all RAW and unprepared, it is only starting to dawn on me how amazing it is that they can cook all of this to perfection. C'mon, roasted chinese pheasants?! Shrimp in garlicy sweet and sour sauce? Deliciously slow boiled "pei dan" congee with "lo bak go" and fried "cheung fun" for lunch? This is only the Chinese food too; juicy golden turkey with crispy skin and yorkshire pudding are seasonal staples in the Lee home; lobster, whole-steamed or stuffed and baked or wok-fried with mounds and mounds of garlic and green onion; roast beef and whole racks of lamb prepared with home made mint sauce and gravy; crab and oysters as soon as they go on sale are served the same night the coupons come in are all typically served on any given whim Daddy Lee feels. And all prepared lovingly with well-worn hands and taste-tested with experienced tongues. I'm very, very good at eating, but you can't be a good eater for long without learning where and how the good eats come from, but I'm ashamed to say that I haven't learned much in the ways of cooking. I will be a haughty, miserable, skinny bachelorette come graduation, when my parents have retreated to HK and I'm left to my own devices to eat home-cooked food.

And my friends wonder why I love food so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment